Raleigh DIY Diva

North Raleigh working mom takes on the role of "DIY Diva" and chronicles the love/hate relationship she and her husband are in with their "foul-tempered old lady of a house."

Friday, February 10, 2006

Hardwood Oak Flooring Has Class!!

Hey DIYers! Back again, and still trying to catch you up on our ambitions. Some might say that we have "too many irons in the fire," but when an idea comes to mind, I can't help but act on it! I am starting to think that I am into instant gratification. My hubby has pretty much accepted the fact that if something doesn't suit me, I will take a saw or sledge hammer to it! You should see the miter saw I got for my 30th birthday!! If my real job just wouldn't get in the way, I'd have everything done. A new friend of mine said, "When I first met you, I assumed you were a prissy little sorority girl. When I heard about your tool collection, I was impressed!" Boy do I love proving people wrong!! Anyhow, I guess we'll just keep plugging along until This Old House becomes My Dream House. I am beginning to see glimpses of My Dream Kitchen shining through the unfinished backsplash and bare subfloor. Speaking of which, the subfloor is one lovely thing, I'll tell ya! Here, you can see the beginning of our self installation of virgin red oak hardwood flooring. This is gorgeous stuff! We have nailed it plank by plank and are plugging right across the "ugly ugly floor" as our kiddo calls it. Once it's finished, we will have to stain it to match our home's existing hardwood as closely as possible. We plan to extend the oak into the dining and family rooms which are currently carpeted. I am certain that the hardwood flooring will increase the beauty, comfort, and value of our home. The second photo shows the transition between the newly installed unfinished flooring and the original oak from 1981. It's a lovely color, and we hope to be able to match it closely. We will lay and stain oak reducer strips to transition the new wood to the old wood, as they are not quite level. Honestly, I am tempted to put new wood over the existing wood, but my team mate is not on board for that!! Coming up: Finding the gumption to install your own wooden flooring and how to do it!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
 
Web www.bejane.com
www.homedepot.com